As your energy bills begin to creep up in the summer, everyone in the Pheonix area knows why.
Higher temps mean more air conditioning, and more air conditioning means higher bills.
You have a few options to help lower your bills.
You can begin with basic maintenance to your system, making sure it is running as efficiently as possible.
You also may be eligible to save money through the SRP air conditioner rebate program.
Keep reading to learn how you can save hundreds of dollars a year just by having an energy-efficient HVAC system.
What Is an SRP Air Conditioner Rebate?
Salt River Project power and water, otherwise known as SRP, is one of the largest and oldest utility companies in Arizona.
They aim to provide their customers with affordable water and power.
With this goal in mind, SRP offers individuals in the Pheonix Metropolitan area both discounts and rebates for the energy-efficient changes residents make to their homes.
SRP understands the need to find a balance between the limited sources of power and water and the burgeoning need for more power and water.
Thus, they want to incentivize the idea of energy-efficient homes, or homes that seek to use less power for the same results.
Thus, they offer significant rebates when you purchase an energy-efficient air conditioner.
When you install new shade screens, ductwork, or air conditioning, check the SRP rebate list to see if your new improvements qualify you for a rebate.
How SRP Rebates Work
SRP will give you a rebate for more than just a new AC.
If you install a new heat pump or mini-split, they offer financial incentives as well.
You can calculate the rebates you’re eligible for easily.
If you get a new heat pump or AC, make sure the unit has a SEER of at least 16.
Then calculate your savings according to the number of tons you have.
- Single-stage compressor: you earn $75 per ton for a heat pump and $75 per ton for an AC.
- Multi-stage compressor: you earn $150 per ton for a heat pump and $150 per ton for an AC.
- Variable-capacity compressor: you earn $225 per ton for a heat pump and $225 per ton for an AC.
- Inverter-driven mini-split compressor: you earn $225 per ton for a heat pump.
The larger your unit, the larger your rebate.
So if you have a 3-ton multi-stage air conditioner, you receive a $450 rebate.
If you have the same type of unit with a 5-ton capacity, you receive $750 in rebates.
Additionally, SRP will also calculate the savings you’ll have on energy each year based on the SEER rating of your unit.
For example, they will provide you with the following information:
- A single-stage unit with a SEER rating of 16 will save you $240 for a 3-ton unit, $320 for a 4-ton unit, and $400 for a 5-ton unit, all in one year. This means you’ll save $3600, $4800, and $6000 every 15 years if you have a 3, 4, or 5-ton AC.
- A multi-stage unit with a SEER rating of 18 will save you $300 for a 3-ton unit, $400 for a 4-ton unit, and $500 for a 5-ton unit in one year. This calculates to a savings of $4500, $6000, and $7500 over 15 years for a 3, 4, and 5-ton unit.
- A variable capacity unit with a SEER rating of 21 will save you $370 for a 3-ton unit, $490 for a 4-ton unit, and $610 for a 5-ton until over a year. This adds up to a savings of $5500, $7350, and $9150 over a 15-year time span for a 3, 4, and 5-ton unit.
In short, when you attempt to save money one way by lowering your energy bills, you also receive a bigger rebate from SRP for saving energy.
Over time, you save thousands of dollars in your energy bill, and your energy efficiency ultimately pays for the air conditioning unit.
How to Apply for a Rebate?
To apply for a rebate, start by reviewing the SRP website and looking at ways to reduce your energy cost and increase your energy efficiency.
You will find helpful tips and tricks.
If you’d like to increase your energy efficiency, look into a new air-conditioning system and Pheonix HVAC services or HVAC replacement services.
You will find technicians that can help you locate the most energy-efficient system for your home.
Once you’ve installed a new energy-efficient system, follow these steps to apply for your well-earned rebate.
- Download the cool cash form that SRP has on their website.
- Send the form to the contractor who works for one of the HVAC services in Phoenix that you chose.
- Fill out the online rebate application. You will need to know your login and password for SRP when you apply.
- Wait for confirmation. You will receive an email saying that SRP received your application. The notification will also tell you if SRP needs any more information.
If you do not feel comfortable filling out the rebate online, you can always download the Cool Cash application and then print it out and mail it in.
Other SRP Rebates
SRP cares about efficiency overall.
They have rebate programs for more than just your HVAC system.
Here is a list of the available rebates through SRP in addition to air conditioning rebates.
- Free shade trees
- Duct repair rebate
- Home energy audit rebate
- Smart thermostat rebate
- Shade screen rebate
Thus, if you want to find a way to keep your home cooler for less money, look into the SRP rebates.
You can earn up to $600, for example, just by having your ductwork inspected and repaired.
Or you can receive two free shade trees when you sign up for a virtual workshop on energy efficiency.
Upgrade and Save
A new air conditioner will cost you money.
However, when you’re purchasing an energy-efficient HVAC unit, you earn your cost back quickly through an SRP air conditioner rebate.
Do you need an air conditioner upgrade?
Are you spending far more than you should to keep your home cool? Contact us to evaluate your system.
We have the best HVAC technicians in the greater Pheonix area and can help keep our cool for many summers to come.
Time to have an expert inspect your AC System for repairs? We can help! Contact the Surprisingly Affordable HVAC experts at Scottsdale Air Heating & Cooling to get more information here: 480-359-7141 OR you can request service online here.
Read more articles about Heating & Cooling: