It’s common when we make a major purchase, like a new home or car that we speak with the manufacture or builder to ask them about ways to keep this investment running smooth and efficient – right? Since most HVAC systems can cost quite a bit of money, it makes sense to take the same proactive measures to keep our cooling units running smoothly as well. This is where activating a Scottsdale AC service plan is a smart investment for the future.
Most heating and air conditioning companies in Arizona understand the value of a good maintenance and service plan and often recommend these programs to customers in order to extend their HVAC lifespan. But, there are a few things that you as a homeowner can do to extend the lifespan of your home’s cooling unit – beyond the recommended AC service in Scottsdale. Here are a few tips to consider.
First – Activate a Regular Maintenance Program at Home
Did you know that there are three little things you can do each month to extend the life of your HVAC system? It’s true; and when you take a few minutes each week, you can not only extend equipment life, but also reduce the amount of energy you use to keep cool during the summer heat.
Follow these three tips at home:
- Replace your indoor air filters every month. You can find replacement filters at most big-box retailers like Walmart, Target, and Home Depot. They are very affordable and simple to replace.
- Dust your vents each week. By removing the dust and debris from your vents, you’ll be reducing the particles that get trapped inside the filters – thus making it easier for the cooling unit to breathe.
- Remove any debris from the outside AC system. Most air conditioning units are housed outside and can be blocked by tree branches, tumbleweeds, dirt, and other ‘stuff’. By making sure they are free to breathe; the cooling unit will operate efficiently.
Second – Reduce Extended Usage
This might seem to be impossible – especially when it’s frequently over 100 degrees for more than half of the year. However, there is a difference between keeping your AC on vs. overusing to create a similar effect. And believe it or not, the solutions to ensure your system is operating smoothly can be done with ease.
Here are a few tips to ensure your system is not overworked.
- Keep your window shades drawn. By reducing the amount of direct sunlight that enters the home, your home will maintain a lower average temperature.
- Consider installing window shades on large windows. If you have large windows that face east or west, consider installing shades on them that can accomplish the above step without a problem.
- Keep your thermostat set at a comfortable temperature. Instead of turning your system on and off – keep it set at a comfortable temperature always.
Third – Shade the Unit to Reduce Wear and Tear
Finally, it stands logical to assume that if a piece of mechanical equipment is sitting in the sun for extended periods of time – it will wear out prematurely. This fact is intensified when the unit is absorbing 100 + degree temperatures, blowing dust, and living through Haboobs. This is why the final thing you can do to extend your AC service in Scottsdale is to build a shade or covered unit over your AC system that sits outside.
Regular AC maintenance by a Scottsdale air conditioning expert is by far the best way to ensure your system lives a long and productive life. By taking time to do a few things around your home to reduce the wear and tear – your cooling system can live longer than you might expect.
Learn more about the services for your AC system. Set up an appointment with the HVAC pros at Scottsdale Air Heating & Cooling. Call 480-359-7141 now!
Read related articles:
- How to Avoid Costly AC Repair in Scottsdale AZ Homes
- What Should a Professional Scottsdale AC Service Include?
- 3 Tips to Know When Getting An AC Repair Quote In Scottsdale