You probably think it to yourself every year, “Okay, next year is going to be different. I’m going to get my home organized early so I can slow down and enjoy the holidays.” Then the next thing you know Halloween passes, Thanksgiving sneaks up on you and then the red and green madness that has been competing with orange and black in department stores since October hits us at full-force.
And when you add house guests into the mix, the to-do list can seem especially daunting as you aim to create warm holiday memories. Some key areas to focus on so you can stay organized make sure you’re paying attention to the details so you can feel that you’re providing the best experience possible without stressing while your guests are in your home just got a little bit easier.
Simple “to-do’s” Guaranteed to Relieve Holiday House Guest Stress:
- Determine if you need any extra bedding. Decide who will get the guestroom, which kids will get kicked out of their beds, and whether you’ll need any extra air beds. If you do, see if you can borrow some or compare prices online and then make time to buy some.
- Figure out your dining needs. Will you need an extra table and chairs? Try to borrow from a friend. If that doesn’t work out, you can rent them or purchase folding chairs and card tables fairly inexpensively.
- Plan your meals ahead of time. Get your menus together so you know what you’ll be preparing each night. If time allows, try to make some items ahead of time that you can stick in the freezer and pop in the oven the day of eating so you can enjoy the time with family and friends. And take advantage of your slow cooker for hearty soups and chilis that you can get going in the morning so you can spend the day with your company. Also, find out if your guests have any food preferences or allergies.
- Get your bathrooms cleaned and have plenty of clean towels, soaps, shampoos, new tooth brushes and tooth paste, and other toiletries on hand for your guests.
- Consider the kids. Do your guests have small children? If so, make sure your house is child-proof and you have some toys or activities on hand to keep them entertained.
- Plan some fun activities. Nobody wants to be cooped up in the house all day. Arrange for an outing or destination. A ride up to Sedona, hiking at South Mountain, shopping at Fashion Square, a visit to Cave Creek, a Suns basketball game. Consider your guests’ interest and then plan accordingly.
- Don’t leave your guests in the cold. Nothing would be worse than your heating system breaking down while you have house guests during the holidays. That can be avoided if you call a professional heating and cooling company to come out and provide seasonal maintenance and a tune-up. Not only will it prevent any surprise problems, but it will extend the life of your system, make it work more efficiently, and save you money on your utility bills.
The holidays are a time to come together with friends and family to share and build memories. By taking a few simple steps to get your home in order before everyone arrives will take the stress off you! Truth is, you deserve to kick your feet up and relax. Be sure to give your other family at Scottsdale Air Heating and Cooling a call at 480-359-7141 if you have not had your ac and heating unit serviced. We would love to help you check another item off that list of ‘to-do’s”. Happy Holidays!